It’s Better to Book Direct

Periwinkles: Live Deliciously

Day Trips

St Martins History Walk

Share this trip

St Martins History Walk

Take a walk through our Maritime History

Quick Facts

1-2 hours of strolling

Download a copy of the Walking Tour Here.


The Village of St. Martins was settled in 1783 by a detachment of the King’s Orange Rangers– Loyalist soldiers from Orange and Duchess Counties, New York.


The Village of St. Martins was the second largest producer of wooden sailing vessels in New Brunswick and the third largest in the Maritimes


The original name of the community was “Quaco”. Quaco is the Akan (Derivation of Mikmaq word Goolwagagek meaning haunt of the hooded seal).


Led by shipbuilders such as James Moran, St. Martins emerged as one of the first shipbuilding centres in the Bay of Fundy, producing over 500 ships. While shipbuilding declined after the 1870s, lumbering, fishing and later tourism emerged as employers. St. Martins was incorporated in 1967.


Walkers and hikers consult the tidal charts to find the best time to walk the ocean floor out to sea caves, caverns and arches in the Village of St. Martins.


Points of interest include twin covered bridges, the only place in the world where two covered bridges and a lighthouse can be photographed at the same time, sea caves and a crescent-shaped beach.


St. Martins also forms the start of the Fundy Trail, a 16 kilometre auto route along the rugged Fundy coast ending at Big Salmon River, a former lumbering centre. Take a walk on the suspension bridge.



Suggested Itinerary 

Previous Destination
Next Destination

Local Artists & Shoppes

Read More

Living History

Read More

Beaches

Read More

Hikes and Walks

Read More